- 1 kg/2 lbs chicken
- 1 large lemon, finely grated zest and the juice
- 3 cloves garlic, pounded into a paste
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 2 tsp hot smoked paprika
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper
- Coarse salt to taste
- 60 ml (2 fluid ounces) Red Wine Vinegar
- 2 Red Chillies
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro or parsley
- Throw everything into a blender and blitz until it it smooth.
- Butterfly the chicken and remove the skin (sorry you’re on a diet) or get your butcher to butterfly it for you, then make small slits in the thigh & across the breast to break the skin slightly and allow the marinade in.
- Rub the marinade all over the chicken and leave overnight in a sealed container for best results
- Cooking: Preheat the oven to 180C and roast for an hour or grill it on the BBQ
- After about 45 mins or more frequently on the BBQ baste with the piri-piri sauce on both sides, flipping over a few times